Best Places to Visit with Family During Winter Season, we will mention the itinerary, highlights and related details so that you can plan your next winter trip to Nepal.
Table of Contents
As soon as winter approaches, Nepal witness a decline in the number of travellers. Although December to February is labelled off-season in Nepal due to the cold weather and continuous snowfall, there are still several places around Nepal that can be visited during the winter.
Apart from popular destinations like Everest, Annapurna, Langtang, and Manaslu, there are spots like Chitwan, Pokhara, Lumbini, Ghandruk, and Muktinath temple, that offers a perfect combination of wildlife, culture and majestic views of the Himalayas and can be visited even in the winter season.
In this blog, Best Places to Visit with Family During Winter Season, we will mention the itinerary, highlights and related details so that you can plan your next winter trip to Nepal. So stay with us till the end of the blog to choose your next winter destination.
1) Muktinath Temple – 5/6 Days:
- Explore the cultural importance of Muktinath and holy water coming from the waterspouts
- Drive through the windy and deserted land of Jomsom
- Visit different UNESCO-enlisted cultural heritage sites in Kathmandu
- Enjoy the sights of the snow-capped pinnacles like Dhaulagiri, Nilgiri, Tilicho peak and Tukuche peak from Muktinath
- Visit local attractions of Pokhara like Bindabasini temple, Davi's fall, caves and many more
Muktinath temple is a Hindu and Buddhist pilgrimage site located at the foothills of the Thorong La mountain pass in the Muktinath district. The pagoda-style temple elevates at an altitude of 3710m and is dedicated to lord Vishnu. Around the temple are two ponds, Laxmi Kunda and Saraswati Kunda, 108 waterspouts, and Jwala Mai temple with eternal flames.
The 5N/6D Muktinath temple tour is a unique experience where you will visit some of the UNESCO-enlisted cultural heritage sites of Kathmandu and head on a venture to explore the mighty Himalayas of the Muktinath valley.
The average maximum temperature is 20˚C, and the minimum temperature is 8˚C of Muktinath during the winter.
- Day 1: Kathmandu Arrival
- Day 2: Half-day sightseeing in Kathmandu and drive to Pokhara
- Day 3: Fly to Jomsom (2700m) and drive to Muktinath temple (3710m) and return to Jomsom.
- Day 4: Fly back to Pokhara and explore attractions around Pokhara
- Day 5: Drive to Kathmandu
- Day 6: Departure
✅ Contact us for Muktinath Tour Package
2) Kalinchowk – 2/3 Days:
- Kalinchowk temple
- Mesmerizing sights of the Mt. Jugal, Gaurishankar, and Ganesh Himal
- Short hiking through the rich landscape of the Kalinchowk region
- The cable car ride to Kalinchowk temple
Elevating at an altitude of 3842m, Kalinchowk is a popular hill station located in the eastern hilly region of Nepal that offers majestic sights of the Himalayas like, Jugal, Gaurishankar, and Ganesh Himal. The major attraction of the hill for the Hindus is the shrine of Kalinchowk Bhagwati. Every winter, the place is flooded with visitors from across the country to enjoy the snow and to ski.
During the Kalinchowk tour, you will drive from Kathmandu to Charikot and spend a night in the village exploring the lifestyle and culture of the locals. You will hike through the Gaurishankar Conservation area towards the Kuri village, which takes around 5-6 hours and is mostly uphill. From Kuri village, the temple is just an hour hike or a 5 minutes cable car ride. The views of the snow-covered mountains from the temple are magical.
The average maximum temperature of Kalinchowk during the winter is 16˚C, and the low is 3˚C.
- 1: Drive from Kathmandu to Charikot
- Day 2: Hike to Kuri village
- Day 3: Explore Kalinchowk temple and head back to Kathmandu
✅ Contact us for Kalinchowk Tour
3) Pokhara, Lumbini, Chitwan – 7N/8D:
- Boating and Paragliding in Pokhara
- Visit local attractions around Pokhara like Davis Falls, Gupteshwor cave, Talbarahi temple, Bindabasini temple, International Mountain Museum, and many others.
- Explore the birthplace of Lord Buddha
- Visit monasteries built by different nations around Lumbini.
- Enjoy canoeing in the Rapti River.
- Be a part of Jeep/ Elephant safari or jungle walks.
- Bird watching, Elephant bathing and Tharu village tour.
- Visit the Tharu cultural museum and observe the unique Tharu cultural show.
- Half-day sightseeing around Hindu and Buddhist pilgrimage sites Pasupatinath and Boudhanath
Pokhara, Lumbini and Chitwan package is the best way to explore the cultural and natural richness of Nepal. During this 7N/8D tour, you will visit some of the major attractions of Nepal like the birthplace of Lord Buddha, the Mayadevi temple in Lumbini. Do boating in Phewa lake, paraglide in the sky of Pokhara, and indulge in activities like jeep safari, jungle walk, canoeing, Tharu cultural show and many more in Chitwan.
Touring in these locations in winter is the best because you do not have to worry about walking in the scorching sun and getting tired in the middle of the tour. This package includes many activities that can be customized upon the request of the visitors.
- Day 1: Kathmandu arrival and sightseeing in Kathmandu
- Day 2: Fly to Pokhara and explore Pokhara
- Day 3: Drive from Pokhara to Chitwan
- Day 4: Activities in Chitwan
- Day 5: Drive to Lumbini
- Day 6: Full-day Lumbini tour
- Day 7: Drive back to Kathmandu
- Day 8: Departure
✅ Contact us for Ghandruk Tour
- Explore the culture and lifestyle of the Gurung community
- Enjoy the sights of the Annapurna ranges, Himchuli and Macchapuchre
- Clad in the Gurung attire and click photos
- Visit local attractions like Davis fall, Bat cave, Gupteshwor cave, Bindabasini temple and others.
Ghandruk is located in the foothills of the Annapurna region at an altitude of 2,012m,. Located 32 km northwest of Pokhara, Ghandruk is a traditional village inhabited by the Gurung community. The highlight of Ghandruk is the Gurung cultural museum and panoramic sights of Annapurna south, Gangapurna, Annapurna III, Himchuli, and Macchapuchre.
Since driving to Ghandruk takes around 4-5 hours from Pokhara, it is visited by people from across the country. Mainly during the winter, the sights of the Himalayas become even more enchanting and picture-perfect. A visit to the Ghandruk cultural museum allows you to try on the traditional Gurung dress, see different equipment and utensils they use and get detailed information about their culture and lifestyle, which is a great way to explore the cultural diversity of Nepal.
The average high temperature of Ghandruk in winter is 5˚C and low is -6˚C
- Day 1: Drive from Kathmandu to Pokhara (900m) Duration: 5-6 Hours.
- Day 2: Visit the local attractions of Pokhara and drive to Ghandruk (2,012m) Duration: 4-5 hours.
- Day 3: Explore Ghandruk and return to Pokhara.
- Day 4: Drive back to Kathmandu
✅ Contact us for Kathmandu Chitwan Pokhara Tour
5) Australian Base Camp – 3 Days:
- Hike through the rich landscape of the Annapurna region
- Enjoy the sunrise view and views of the mighty Himalayas
- Spend quality time far from the hustle of the city
Australian base camp is one of the best short hikes in Nepal that allow you to spend some memorable time in the lap of the Himalayas. Elevated at an altitude of 2060m in the northwestern part of Pokhara, the Australian base camp offers magnificent sights of the Annapurna south, Himchuli and Macchapuchre.
Another major attraction of this hike is the sunrise view from the hill. The golden rays of sunshine paint the mountains in the most magical color early in the morning. Since the base camp is located between the lush woodlands, the only sound you can hear during your stay is the birds chirping. The journey to the base camp starts from Phedi, Pokhara and continues through the rhododendron forest and small villages like Dhampus to the base camp.
The highest temperature during winter in the base camp is 15˚C and lowest is -3˚C.
- Day 1: Drive from Pokhara to Phedi and hike to Dhampus (1650m) Duration: 1 hour drive and 3 hours hike
- Day 2: Dhampus to the Australian base camp (2060m) and explore the area Duration: 3 hours
- Day 3: Hike to Kande and drive to Nagdanda, Pokhara. Duration: 2 hour hike.
✅ Contact us for Australian Base Camp Trek
6) Upper Mustang Jeep Tour – 7/8 Days:
- Visit Ghar Gompa, one of the important monasteries of the region
- Built in the 15th century, the Jampa Gompa (God house), the oldest monastery of Mustang
- The red assembly hall of Thubchen Gompa
- Explore the Tibetan-influenced culture
- Enjoy the sights of Annapurna, Nilgiri and Dhaulagiri
- Explore Jhong cave and the sky caves of Chhoser
The hidden Buddhist kingdom, Upper Mustang, is also known as Lo-Manthang. The Upper Mustang jeep tour winds off to the trans-Himalayan mountain area passing through numerous picturesque villages of the region like Kagbeni, Ghami, Tsarang to Lo Manthang. The Upper Mustang lies at an altitude of 3840m and offers panoramic views of Nilgiri, Annapurna, and Dhaulagiri.
The capital of the Mustang district, Lo-Manthang is a popular tourist destination that is home to several caves, monasteries and a palace. During your tour, you will explore the Ghar Gompa, Charang Monastery, Jampa Gompa, Thubchen Gompa, Chodey Gompa, Sky caves of Chhoser, Buddhist school and King palace, which are the oldest and most important cultural and historical sites of the region.
The average maximum temperature of the region is about 0 to 5˚C and minimum is -25˚C.
- Day 1: Drive from Kathmandu to Pokhara (900m)
- Day 2: Fly from Pokhara to Jomsom (2743m) and drive to Kagbeni (2804m)
- Day 3: Drive from Kagbeni to Ghami (2900m) and visit Geling.
- Day 4: Drive from Ghami to Tsarang (3570m)
- Day 5: Drive from Tsarang to Lo-Manthang (3840m)
- Day 6: Explore Lo-Manthan
- Day 7: Drive from Lo-Manthang to Jomsom via Dumba lake
- Day 8: Drive to Pokhara
✅ Contact us for Upper Mustant Jeep Tour
7) Manang – 6N/7D:
- Natural hot spring in Chame
- Visit the tranquil Gangapurna lake
- Enjoy the breathtaking sights of the Annapurna range, Gangapurna, Manaslu, Lamjung and Pisang peak
- Trek through the Annapurna circuit trek route
- Visit monasteries of the region
The hidden treasure of Nepal, Manang, lies to the north of the Annapurna Mountain region and is popularly known as the desert of Nepal. Manang has unique natural attractions for trekkers adorned with the backdrop of barren and snow-covered peaks. Apart from the Himalayas, Manang is also home to one of the highest passes, Thorong La Pass.
During the Manang 6N/7D trek, you will walk through the picturesque area of Jagat, Bagarchhap, Chame, Bhratang, Pisang and others, enjoying the views of Marsyangdi River, Annapurna II, Lamjung Himal and Pisang Peak. The major highlight of the trip is the Braka gompa, the oldest monastery in the region and the tranquil Gangapurna Lake. The sights of the Annapurna range and Gangapurna peak from the lake are truly enchanting and worth capturing.
The highest average temperature during winter is 4˚C and lowest is -9˚C
- Day 1: Drive from Kathmandu to Jagat (1300m), Duration: 7-8 hours
- Day 2: Trek from Jagat to Bagarchhap (2160m) Duration: 5-6 hours
- Day 3: Trek from Bagarchhap to Chame (2630m) Duration: 6-7 hours
- Day 4: Trek from Chame to Pisang (3190m) Duration 6-7 hours
- Day 5: Trek from Pisang to Manang (3519m) Duration: 8-9 hours
- Day 6: Explore Manang
- Day 7: Jeep drive from Manang to Kathmandu Duration: 11-12 hours
8) Rara Lake – 6N/7D:
- Enjoy the sights of the lake and its colour-changing water
- Enjoy horse riding and boating
- Explore the Rara lake area
- Hike to Murma viewpoint
- Explore the authentic culture and lifestyle of Jumla
Rara Lake elevating at an altitude of 2,990m is the deepest and largest lake in Nepal. The lake lies inside the Rara National park and is surrounded by mountains like Chuchemara hill, Rum Kandh, and Malika Kandh.
The Rara lake 6N/7D tour allows you to explore the pristine Rara lake, Rara National park, which inhabits 20 mammal species, 214 bird species and 500 types of flowers and the culture of people residing in the area. Despite being one of a kind, the place has not been discovered by many people due to the lack of proper road infrastructure, which has allowed Rara Lake to keep its beauty intact and its culture authentic. During the visit, you can do different activities around the lake like horse riding, boating and spending quality time with your loved ones. A hike to the Murma viewpoint will allow you to enjoy the 360-degree view of the Himalayas and the area.
The average high-temperature is 3.3˚C and low-temperature is -6˚C in winter.
- Day 1: Drive from Kathmandu to Kohalpur (175m). Duration: 10-11 hours' drive
- Day 2: Drive to Manma (2033m). Duration: 7-8 hour drive
- Day 3: Drive to Nagma (2051m) and Hike to Rara lake (2990m). Duration: 4-5 hours' drive and 2 hour hike
- Day 4: Explore Rara lake
- Day 5: Drive to Manma (2033m)
- Day 6: Drive back to Kohalpur (175m)
- Day 7: Drive back to Kathmandu
✅ Contact us for Rara Lake
More Interesting Blogs:
▪ 6 Things not to Miss while you are in Nepal
▪ A Must Visit Tourist Place in Kathmandu in 3 Days
▪ Best Streets Foods in Kathmandu you can’t miss out
▪ Short Trekking Destination in Nepal under 7 Days
▪ Best 13 Things to Do in Pokhara